The Herts 10K is going virtual!
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, we won’t be able to host one of Hertfordshire’s biggest running events in person this year, so we’re inviting you to join us and take on the 10K or Half Marathon as part of our virtual event. Sign up by 9am on the day, get training, and run either a 10K or a Half Marathon in your area on Sunday 4 October 2020.
The HERTS 10K and Half Marathon is one of Rennie Grove Hospice Care’s flagship fundraising events, attracting thousands of runners and walkers every year and raising valuable funds to support the charity’s services across Herts and Bucks, which in the current climate are needed now more than ever. We regret not being able to deliver the event in the usual way this year however, we’re committed to making the 2020 virtual event a success and would be delighted if you could join us in celebrating the event’s 15th year.
Congratulations to everyone who has taken part!
If you’ve taken part in either the 10k or the half marathon, you can find leader boards here.
Why we need you now more than ever?
Whichever challenge you choose, you will be supporting Rennie Grove Hospice Care deliver a vital service to your community. During lockdown, Rennie Grove Hospice Care’s seen record numbers of more than 600 patients being cared for. This unprecedented demand for our hospice at home service has been twinned with a funding crisis. Shops have been closed for months, and all events were cancelled. If we’re to meet this growing demand, we need you, now more than ever. So sign up, take part, and give it your best shot to fundraise for a local charity that needs you!
The virtual event will remain on Sunday 4 October. We ask all participants to set off at 10:00am on their desired distance, choosing a route that suits you – challenge yourself to some hills, or pace around a flat path, the choice is yours. If you’re unable to complete your chosen distance in one go, you will have the opportunity to complete the distance over the course of the following week.
We are aware of how important ‘race day’ is to participants and the atmosphere and experience at the event. We feel this is a vital element for our supporters and are keen to create this in a virtual way for all participants. To try to ensure we can do this we will be:
- Hosting a virtual pre-race warm up for all participants to join in before wishing you good luck with a count-down to see you off on your walk/ run
- Inviting all participants to join our Herts 10K Facebook page, where you will get training tips and the opportunity to chat with other runners
- Creating a leadership board for those that wish to compete against their own best times and that of others taking part
- Creating a gallery of everyone’s achievements showcasing pictures from everyone’s runs and walks on our social media
- We will still provide medals for participants and virtual trophies for the top 3 females and top 3 males in both distances, as well as the top 3 in junior league. Our trophy winners will be acknowledged on our social media & website.
Junior Division for Herts 10K
We will still be encouraging the younger generation to take part in the event and there will be a Junior Division for the virtual Herts 10K. This will be for ages 12 – 16 years.
All participants of the Herts 10K virtual event must be 12 years old or over. Participants who are under 16 must have consent from a parent or guardian to take part.
Please note, this event is to raise money for Rennie Grove Hospice Care’s only. Fundraising for other charities through participation in this event is not permitted.
HERTS 10K awarded Silver Best 10K East of England 10k Run